A Systematic Approach to Learning Robot Programming with ROS 1st Edition
A Systematic Approach to Learning Robot Programming with ROS provides a comprehensive, introduction to the essential components of ROS through detailed explanations of simple code examples along with the corresponding theory of operation. The book explores the organization of ROS, how to understand ROS packages, how to use ROS tools, how to incorporate existing ROS packages into new applications, and how to develop new packages for robotics and automation. It also facilitates continuing education by preparing the reader to better understand the existing online documentation.
The book is organized into six parts. It begins with an introduction to ROS foundations, including writing ROS nodes and ROS tools. Messages, Classes, and Servers are also covered. The second part of the book features simulation and visualization with ROS, including coordinate transforms.
The next part of the book discusses perceptual processing in ROS. It includes coverage of using cameras in ROS, depth imaging and point clouds, and point cloud processing. Mobile robot control and navigation in ROS is featured in the fourth part of the book.
The fifth section of the eBook A Systematic Approach to Learning Robot Programming with ROS contains coverage of robot arms in ROS. This section explores robot arm kinematics, arm motion planning, arm control with the Baxter Simulator, and an object-grabber package. The last part of the book focuses on system integration and higher-level control, including perception-based and mobile manipulation.
This accessible text includes examples throughout and C++ code examples are also provided at https://github.com/wsnewman/learning_ros
About the Author
Wyatt Newman is a professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Case Western Reserve University, where he has taught since 1988. His research is in the areas of mechatronics, robotics, and computational intelligence, in which he has 12 patents and over 150 technical publications. He received the S.B. degree from Harvard College in Engineering Science, the S.M. degree in Mechanical Engineering from M.I.T. in thermal and fluid sciences, the M.S.E.E. degree from Columbia University in control theory and network theory, and the Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from M.I.T. in design and control. A former NSF Young Investigator in robotics, Prof. Newman has also held appointments as a senior member of research staff, Philips Laboratories; visiting scientist at Philips Natuurkundig Laboratorium; visiting faculty at Sandia National Laboratories, Intelligent Systems, and Robotics Center; NASA summer faculty fellow at NASA Glenn Research Center; visiting fellow in neuroscience at Princeton University; distinguished visiting fellow at Edinburgh University, School of Informatics, and the Hung Hing Ying Distinguished Visiting Professor at the University of Hong Kong. Prof. Newman led robotics teams competing in the 2007 DARPA Urban Challenge and in the 2015 DARPA Robotics Challenge, and he continues to be interested in wide-ranging aspects and applications of robotics.
Top reviews from our customers:
- Very well-structured eBook A Systematic Approach to Learning Robot Programming with ROS. Code and examples are clear. I have several ROS books and this is one of the best in my opinion. Highly recommended.
- This is a great book! I highly recommend it. however. Most of the links point to the same location.
- Great teacher, great book.
- Das Buch ist sehr Praxis im Bereich Industrie Robotik. Es gibt die Beispiel Code und sehr deutlich erklären. Die ersten beiden Kapitel”Introduction to ROS: ROS tools and nodes”, “Messages, Classes and Server” waren etwas schwierig zu bewältigen, aber ich musste mit den Online-Einführungsvideos arbeiten, um herauszufinden, was Topic, Messege, Service bedeutet. Mit etwas Wissen über Robotik werden Sie den Rest des Buches in kürzester Zeit bewältigen.
Wenn Sie die Vorkenntnisse über Kinematik, Dynamik des Roboter hat, aber nicht zu viel Praxis Erfahrung in ROS (besonderes industrie Roboter) haben, empfehle ich das Buch.
Ein Buch über ROS ist sicherlich nicht genug, ROS hat viele mächtige Pakete, die mit einer Menge Praxis, Forum und anderen Pakete als Hilfsmittel kombiniert werden müssen, um das Beste zu lernen und anzuwenden!
Parallel habe ich auch die andere Bücher eingekauft, z. B. Quigley, M: Programming Robots with ROS: A Practical Introduction to the Robot Operating und “Learning OpenCV3” usw.
- If you know about robotics in theory but have no clue about the ROS ecosystem, this is the book you are looking for!
There is a great number of examples (available on GitHub) ranging from low-level controller implementations to robot simulations with Gazebo.
- Muy buen libro A Systematic Approach to Learning Robot Programming with ROS, muy instructivo. Para gente que quiere aprender ROS, y crear sus propios robots.
Buenos ejemplos de programación.
Tags: 978-1498777827, 9781498777827, Computer Language, Computer Programming, EBook, Programming, Robot Programming, Robotics, Robots, Ros, Textbook, Wyatt Newman